Monday, October 25, 2010

state of the craftsmanshit address #9 - autumn '10

wow
I've just had the unfortunate (and very disappointing) experience of dealing with a couple of industry giants
neither of which have the stones to stand behind their products

as a struggling craftsman working at starvation wages 
I will repair or replace any rod I built at no expense to the client save shipping costs
which likely means that I'll be eating replacement component cost and considerable labor
should a rebuild be necessary

why?  because it is my obligation to the customer
who trusts me to deliver the goods in exchange for their considerable investment in my skill 
(or lack thereof)
simply put it is my responsibility to do so to protect my reputation
(whatever the hell that may be)

so I contacted a very well known worldwide manufacturer of sunglasses
about replacing a broken pair of shades I had come across while cleaning up the flytying den


their response? 

 something like "we no longer manufacture that particular model so repair or replacement is not possible"

okay - that's kind of understandable
how about replacing w/ a similar current model?
nothing doing

instead they offer the terrific option of 25% off any pair of shades from their website
plus $6 handling fee (shipping is free if you order from the website)
what a bargain
though I do think I'll take them up on it for a trendy and stylish polarized model
nevertheless I don't like it

in all honesty I do not remember how I broke them
though I was probably at fault

our next industry giant is in the flyfishing industry
and is generally highly regarded though viewed w/ scorn by some
because of a patented design protection lawsuit or something like that
the details escape me

  
after contacting them about replacing the defective jaw
I was informed that they are covered by a LIMITED warranty 
and replacement jaw is priced at $30

so the limited warranty doesn't cover breakage of the main component?
that's just silly

anyways, again I'm just going to bite the bullet and replace them
because I really really enjoyed the product

I just don't like it 
not one little bit
remember I'm working at starvation wages albeit by my own choice

why?
because I think it is absurd to charge what I do for a fishing pole
any fishing pole made of any material out there
and would not feel comfortable charging the prices
others who shall remain nameless demand

am I comparing their skillset and experience to mine?
absolutely not
but to pay that much money for a got am fishing pole is assinine

I think I'm done now

No comments: