Monday, July 18, 2011

going to church - a fishing narrative

we arrived after dark saturday night
desperately seeking a campsite
an open site w/ reserved sign beckoned
I say stop and check out the sign
reserved 7-16 to 7-19 it reads

we'll take this one

it starts to rain
I checkout the campsite
raingear is buried in closed truck bed
I'll live - pull on hoodie
site is great - lotsa shade and right alongside the rio

I return to truck cab and say you gotta check this out it's perfect
interior cab light queers my night vision and I tumble ass over tea kettle on a boulder
doesn't hurt badly though I lose some bark

we scramble to set up tent and sleeping quarters in dark and rain
we manage w/out getting too wet and gear remains mostly dry

next morning neighboring angler comes over and says
"pretty tough setting up in the rain - we sat in the cab of my truck eating dinner and watched you guys"
it wasn't too bad

it's sunday morning - rig rods eat some captain crunch
caddis start to gather among the pines
this tells me it's time to go fishing


since it's sunday - where else to go but church
the church of the dry fly and finest spot on the river

there are bugs everywhere
caddis pmds sporadic yellow sallies and little brown/black stones green drakes
fish are rising here and there
those of you who've been fortunate enough to fish here know that the whole run can erupt

try caddis - nope
pmd - nope

this guy lands on my flybox...



so I tie on this...



finally it's bingo time and I stick a couple handfuls of 13 to 15 inch browns

all things considered a great morning/afternoon fishing
return to camp for late lunch and nap

mudbug dicks around nimping the camground water

eventually back to church for dusk caddis hatch and fishing is lights out
leave before full dark w/ another couple handfuls of nice trout


to be continued and supplemented w/ pics as I receive them...

No comments: