Wednesday, February 16, 2011

texaz grill

way back when in 1985 a restaurant called lonestar steakhouse opened up
located in the corner of a strip mall in the former home of carlos o'brien's 
a wildly popular and fun though mediocre mexican food joint
which moved on to bigger (better?  nah) digs

this means that I've been going to texaz grill for 26 years now
wow
 the place has its kitschy charm no doubt
decorated in an all things texas scheme it is fun to browse all the memorabilia
juke box is well stocked w/ old school country honkytonkin' swing music

anyways once the national chain lonestar arrived in the valley a name change was forced
a contest was held and texaz grill declared the winner
a much better name if you ask me

as usual I start my meal w/ one of these


great stuff served in a little glass we call a jumbo back in wisconsin
I used to order a celis white but they stopped offering it...
shiner bock is a pleasant and suitable replacement

dining with us the lovely tanya tucker


this place is renowned for their chicken fried steaks and rightfully so
I challenge anyone to find better anywhere in town
might be able to chase down a better one in texas somewhere
I'm not sure


since we showed up for lunch
(again a relatively late one so the rush was over)
I opted to have the (surprise!) chicken fried steak


just look at the size of that thing!  fork tender as always
and also as always quite filling and satisfying

I only order this for lunch as you get TWO(!) if you order it for dinner
alas w/ no corn : - [
two of those monsters is just too much for one sitting though it does make for a viable leftover lunch option the next day

if I'm eating dinner (and it's available) I get the smoked prime rib
another best in town dish
the smokey tenderness is nearly impossible to describe
though it does distinguish it from all other prime ribs around

the lunch special on this day was a texas dip snad
presumably prepared from last night's leftover prime rib
anita wisely decided to get that...
she would normally order the cfs

good choice 
it was wonderful
w/ steak fries au jus and bbq sauce
damn good shit

service as always is prompt friendly and welcoming
I cannot say enough about how good this place is
it's all good no great


texaz grill is located on the ne corner of bethany home and 16th street
get yo ass over there and get some

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff. Any CFS that hangs over the side of the plate starts with a few extra good points. I have a buddy headed through Terlingua to Lajitas today. Strange, beautiful country out in that corner of Tejas.

jb

mijo said...

hey - thanks for reading jb. that is one part of the country I'd really like to visit. I'd like to get jrunk w/ that beer jrinking goat mayor of lajitas. assuming he's stilll around that is...

Anonymous said...

I think Mayor Clyde is taking the long dirt nap, but there are plenty of other folks out there getting their strange on that would make interesting drinking buddies.

jb

Anonymous said...

I go to the "Behind the Store" Championship Chili Cook-Off every year in Terlingua.
The goat's name was Clay Henry and he's long gone.
If you want some advice on travel to the Big Bend area (Terlingua) give me a call and I'll be happy to help.
It's pretty spectacular down there.

mijo: Thanks for the kind words about TEXAZ Grill.

Steve Freidkin
TEXAZ Grill
602-248-7827