Sunday, January 23, 2011

I hate birds

I've said it before and I'll say it again
but...

I live amongst a series of lakes or more accurately ponds
that are also among other things a bird sanctuary of sorts
which means there are a helluva lotta birds out there

and lately, I've been interested in trying to identify them all
despite being decidedly anti-bird I own at least three bird field guides
and a couple pairs of binoculars

yesterday I identified a small black and white wading bird
the black shouldered stilt
there's another I have to get a closer look at

then there's this little fella who spends a lotta time on my backyard fence



oh...championship sunday picks - green bay over chicago
and much as I love the jets I've gotta go w/ the roethlesberger factor and take the steelers
which is contrary to my earlier pick...we'll see and enjoy every minute of it

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

May I suggest...
"A backyard guide to AZ birds" or something like that by an author who remains unknown as the book is still packed in a box because for 2 1/2 years I always figured I'd just have to repack it at a moments notice.
Most of AZ's birds are indeed migratory. That one isn't and I believe a year 'round resident. A relative to CA's "Catbird" which swoops on both cats and mailmen alike without discrepency. Also related in behavior only to AZ's Cactus Wren, which is perhaps the boldest, balliest bird in this hellhole of a state. I've caught them more then once INSIDE my truck because I left the window down a couple of inches in the middle of summer.
A quite intriguing bird and fine example of why many think that birds were desended from dinosaurs and rapters in particular...
embrace it, wrap your arms around it and thank 'god' there is something wild, with brains in their noggin, who thinks and reasons who still lives within inches of your...abode. "Thinking reasoning" life is all around us...even here...
luv...
fookface