Wednesday, June 8, 2011

"the skinny" - chapter two - my first fly rod



so this rod I had been fishing
and old school orvis graphite model
presentation
9ft 3in 5wt

I continued practicing casting in the alley
and on some az small streams
again luckying out from time to time and sticking a fish or two

phildo asked me if I wanted to buy it
he had a handful of his father's bamboo rods
and didn't need this one
I said you betcha
he said find out what it's worth and make an offer

I couldn't find anything about the rod
still haven't 
I offered $125 he took it
the leather covered aluminum rod tube is worth twice that


I've still got that rod and probably always will have it
I use it up at lee's ferry where long extended drifts are the ticket



what does any of this nonsense have to do w/ bamboo?
nothing but we're working our way around to that

I wanted a little smaller rod
wanted this and that and next thing you know I've gotta quiver 
I'm fishing my ass off 
all over the southwest and four corners area

I start tying flies
they suck out loud - ugly as sin
I practice and practice and things finally turn
the flies are now beautiful

we move to a house on a pond
among over a dozen ponds
right out my back door

by now, we've traveled all over the west from california to washington 
to montana and back home
fishing has become more than a hobby or pastime
it's a lifestyle

at his point I've built a couple rods
well assembled is the more proper term
they're serviceable
I especially like the gatti

you know it really is ridiculous all the tackle we think we need...

No comments: